1. One major result of the Spanish-American War was that the United
1. acquired Alaska.
2. obtained overseas colonies.
3. abandoned the principles of the Monroe Doctrine.
4. overthrew the Hawaiian monarchy.
2. As a result of the peace treaty ending the
1. the United States acquired the Philippines.
2. Puerto Rico became an independent nation.
3. a civil war broke out in Cuba.
4. the United States repealed the Platt Amendment.
Speakers A, B, C, D, and E are discussing the Philippines. Base your
answers to questions 3 through 8 on their statements and on your
knowledge of U.S. history and government.
SPEAKER A: These poor, uncivilized, unChristianized people need our assistance if
they are to be uplifted from their ignorance to a point at least approaching our level of
civilization and accomplishment. The Philippines must be ours.
SPEAKER B: These islands would certainly make excellent coaling stations for our
great naval fleet, which is growing each year, as Congress approves additional funds for
the construction of new ships.
SPEAKER C: The shipping interests really find the Philippines to be excellent trading
centers. Furthermore, they can be used to develop our commerce with China and Japan. We can use the islands as stopover and storage points for our merchant fleets.
SPEAKER D: Were our economic rivals to obtain the Philippines, it would be a
commercial disaster for our nation. We entered the race late, but we must not fall
SPEAKER E: Were our economic rivals to obtain the Philippines, it
would be a commercial disaster for our nation. We entered the race late,
but we must not fall behind now.
3. Each statement made by the speakers could
be used to justify
3. free trade
4. Which speaker presents a strategic reason
for taking over the Philippines?
1. B 2. C
3. D 4. E
5.Speaker A's views are most similar to those
1. B 2. C
3. D 4. E