1. As an immediate result of the Civil War
1. women gained the right to vote.
2. secession was no longer an option open to states.
3. sectionalism disappeared from American economic and political life.
4. the South retained its pre-Civil War economic and social structure.
2. A major result of the Civil War was that
1. disputes between the North and South were ended.
2. whites accepted blacks as social equals.
3. slavery was ended by an amendment to the Constitution.
4. the South lost territory to the North.
3. Before the Civil War, the principle of
popular sovereignty was proposed as a means of
(1) allowing states to secede from the Union
(2) permitting voters to nullify federal laws
(3) deciding the legalization of slavery in a new state
(4) overturning unpopular decisions of the Supreme Court
4 Which statement best describes the
economic differences between the North and South just prior to the Civil War?
(1) The Northern economy was primarily agricultural, while the
Southern economy was based on manufacturing.
(2) Jobs on plantations attracted more European immigrants to the
than to the North.
(3) Transportation systems were more developed in the North than
(4) The Southern economy was more diversified than the Northern
5 What was the most important advantage the North had
1 unified popular support for the war
2 superior military leadership
3 economic aid from Great Britain and France
4 more human resources and war material