1 Which statement describes a characteristic of
democracy that is
for in the United States Constitution?
(1) Political power in Congress is held by the
ranking political party.
(2) All bills passed by Congress are reviewed by the Supreme Court.
(3) Citizens choose their congressional representatives.
(4) The president can require Congress to submit legislation for the cabinet’s
2 The implied powers suggested by the United
States Constitution show that the writers recognized the
(I) powers of government needed to be able to
adapt to change
(2) rights of the states had to be protected
(3) powers of the Supreme Court needed to be checked
(4) rights of the citizens were the first concern of government
3 What were two key precedents established by George Washington during
(1) aid to farmers and the end of the slave
(2) universal male suffrage and support for political
(3) foreign policy of neutrality and the use of presidential advisors
(4) protective tariffs and foreign alliances during peacetime
4 “It is emphatically
the province and duty of the judicial department to
say what the law is. . . .”
- Marbury v. Madison, 1803
This statement expresses the Supreme Court’s claim that
(1) courts must abide by a strict
interpretation of the Constitution
(2) federal laws must be approved by the courts before they can
(3) the judicial branch must have a role in the amendment process
(4) the power of judicial review belongs to the courts