1 The decision of the United States Supreme Court in Marbury v.
Madison (1803) established the power of the
(1) House of Representatives to impeach the president
(2) Congress to override a presidential veto
(3) president to veto congressional legislation
(4) Supreme Court to determine the constitutionality of laws
2 The Louisiana Purchase had great geographic significance for the United States because it
(1) reduced British control of North America
(2) focused the United States on westward expansion
(3) extended United States control over Mexico
(4) decreased tensions with Native American Indians
3 Which statement best describes the economic differences between the North and South just prior to the Civil War?
(1) The Northern economy was primarily agricultural, while the
Southern economy was based on manufacturing.
(2) Jobs on plantations attracted more European immigrants to the
South than to the North.
(3) Transportation systems were more developed in the North than
in the South.
(4) The Southern economy was more diversified than the Northern
4 Southern states attempted to limit the impact of constitutional
amendments passed during the Reconstruction Era by
(1) passing Jim Crow laws
(2) ending racial discrimination
(3) seceding from the Union
(4) fighting the Civil War
5 One way in which the Chinese Exclusion Act, the Gentlemenís
Agreement, and the National Origins Act were similar is that all were
(4) Manifest Destiny