(1) ovary (3) testis
( 2 ) u t e r u s
2 Which statement best explains the significance of meiosis in the process
of evolution within a species?
(1) The gametes produced by meiosis ensure the continuation of
any particular species by asexual reproduction.
(2) Equal numbers of eggs and sperm are produced by meiosis.
(3) Meiosis produces eggs and sperm that are alike.
(4) Meiosis provides for variation in the gametes produced by an
The diagram below represents chromosomes in
4 During the last months of pregnancy, the brain of a human embryo
undergoes an essential
"growth spurt.” Which action by the mother
would most likely pose the greatest threat to the
of the nervous system of the embryo at this time?
(1) spraying pesticides in the garden
(2) taking prescribed vitamins on a daily basis
(3) maintaining a diet high in fiber and low in fat
(4) not exercising
3 synthesis processes
2 mitotic cell division
4 meiotic cell division