Which statement describes the best procedure to
determine if a vaccine for a
disease in a certain bird species is effective?
(1) Vaccinate 100 birds and expose all 100 to the disease.
(2) Vaccinate 100 birds and expose only 50 of them to the disease.
(3) Vaccinate 50 birds, do not vaccinate 50 other birds, and expose all 100 to the disease.
(4) Vaccinate 50 birds, do not vaccinate 50 other birds, and expose only the
vaccinated birds to the disease.
2 Diagrams, tables, and
graphs are used by scientists mainly to
(1) design a research plan for an experiment
(2) test a hypothesis
(3) organize data
(4) predict the independent variable
A biologist observed a plant cell in a drop of water as shown in diagram
A. The biologist
added a 10% salt solution to the slide and observed the
cell as shown in diagram B.
The change in appearance of the cell resulted from
1 more salt moving out of the cell than
into the cell
2 more salt moving into the cell than out of the cell
3 more water moving into the cell than out of the cell
4 more water moving out of the cell than into the cell
4 A coverslip should be used for preparing a
1 frog for dissection
2 solution of iodine for food testing
3 wet mount of elodea (a simple plant)
4 test to determine the pH of a solution
5 A sample of food containing one type of a large molecule
was treated with a specific
digestive enzyme. Nutrient tests
performed on the resulting products showed the presence
sugars, only. Based on these test results, the original large
in the sample were molecules of