2 New inheritable characteristics would be least likely to result from
(1) mutations which occur in muscle cells and skin cells
(2) mutations which occur in male gametes
(3) mutations which occur in female gametes
(4) the sorting and recombination of existing genes during meiosis and
3 According to the interpretation of the fossil record by many scientists, during
time interval shown on the time line below did increasingly complex
multicellular organisms appear on Earth?
(1) A to B (3) C to D
(3) B to C (4) D to E
4 Which situation would most directly affect future generations naturally
produced by a maple tree?
(1) Ultraviolet radiation changes the DNA sequence within some leaves
of the tree.
(2) Ultraviolet radiation changes the DNA sequence within the gametes
flowers of the tree.
(3) An increase in temperature reduces the number of cell divisions in
(4) Rapidly growing cells just under the bark are exposed to radiation,
in genetic material.
5 Which statement is best supported by fossil records?
(1) Many organisms that lived in the past are now extinct.
(2) Species occupying the same habitat have identical
(3) The struggle for existence between organisms results in
changes in populations.
(4) Structures such as leg bones and wing bones can originate
from the same type of tissue found in embryos.