The main function of the human digestive system is to
(1) rid the body of cellular waste materials
(2) process organic molecules so they can enter
(3) break down glucose in order to release energy
(4) change amino acids into proteins and carbohydrates
The diagram below represents a
cell in water. Formulas of molecules that can move freely across the cell
membrane are shown. Some molecules are located inside the cell and others are in
the water outside the cell.
Based on the distribution of these molecules, what would most likely happen
after a period of time?
(1) The concentration of O2 will increase inside the cell.
(2) The concentration of CO2 will remain the same inside the cell.
(3) The concentration of O2,will remain the same outside the cell.
(4) The concentration of CO2 will decrease outside the cell.
3 What happens to certain nutrient molecules after they pass into muscle cells?
(1) They are replicated in the nucleus.
(2) They are acted on by enzymes and release the energy they contain.
(3) They are changed into tissues and organs in the cytoplasm.
(4) They enter chloroplasts, where they can absorb light energy.
(1) a stable rate of metabolism
(2) a disturbance in homeostasis
(3) a change in the method of cellular respiration
(4) a change in the function of DNA
5 Which statement regarding the functioning of the
cell membrane of all
is not correct?
(1) The cell membrane forms a boundary that
separates the cellular
contents from the
(2) The cell membrane is capable of receiving
and recognizing chemical
(3) The cell membrane forms a barrier that
keeps all substances that
might harm the cell
from entering the cell.
(4) The cell membrane controls the movement of molecules into and
out of the cell.