1 Which statement regarding the functioning of the
cell membrane of all
organisms is not correct?
(1) The cell membrane forms a boundary that
separates the cellular
contents from the outside
(2) The cell membrane is capable of receiving
and recognizing chemical
(3) The cell membrane forms a barrier that
keeps all substances that
might harm the cell
from entering the cell.
(4) The cell membrane controls the movement of molecules into and
out of the cell.
2 In multicellular organisms, cells must be able to
communicate with each
other. Structures that
enable most cells to communicate with each
(1) pathogenic agents (3) antibiotics
(2) chloroplasts (4) receptor molecules
3 Every single-celled organism is able to survive because it carries out
(1) metabolic activities
(2) autotrophic nutrition
(3) heterotrophic nutrition
(4) sexual reproduction
4 The shape of a protein molecule is influenced by
(1) whether it is organic or inorganic
(2) the sequence of amino acids in it
(3) the number of genes found in the nucleus
(4) the number of chromosomes in the cell
5 The data table below summarizes the results of an investigation in which
seeds from the same plant were grown under different conditions of
temperature and relative humidity.
Which conclusion can be drawn from the information in the data table?
(1) Color in this species is determined by genes, only
(2) Many characteristics are not inherited.
(3) Mutations occur only when plants are grown at low temperatures.
(4) There is an interaction between environment and heredity.