1. The primary purpose for building the Suez Canal was to
1. encourage Jewish settlement in nearby Palestine.
2. increase trade between the Middle East, Europe, and Asia.
3. reduce the time needed for travel between the Atlantic Ocean
and the Caribbean Sea.
4. allow Indian merchants to reach the east coast of Africa.
2. The Suez Canal is part of a major trade route because it connects the
1. Mediterranean Sea and Red Sea.
2. North Sea and Black Sea.
3. Indian Ocean and Arabian Sea.
4. Caribbean Sea and Pacific Ocean
Base your answer to question 3 on the passage below and on your knowledge of social studies.
The Canal was dug by Egypt's sons and 120,000 of them died while working.
The Suez Canal Company in Paris is an impostor company. It usurped our
concessions... Therefore, I have signed today the following law which has been
approved by the Cabinet: Article 1 of the decree reads, "The Universal Company
of the Suez Maritime Canal — Egyptian Joint-Stock Company — is hereby
nationalized. All its assets, rights and obligations are hereby transferred to the Nation." -Source:
World History, Prentice Hall
3. This passage describes the decision of the Egyptian Government to
1. end trade with Mediterranean countries.
2. stop building canals.
3 take control of the Suez Canal.
4. sell the Suez Canal to France.
4. Which factor is most responsible for limiting agriculture in the Middle East?
1. surplus of machinery.
2. availability of many farm-workers.
3. shortage of oil.
4. lack of water.
5. "The Egyptians used papyrus to make paper."
"Many nomads raised goats and sheep."
"The Babylonians settled near the Tigris and Euphrates Rivers."
These statements show how the people of the Middle East have been