1. Which statement is accurate about the geography of the Middle East?
1. Large areas of land are used for rice cultivation.
2. Most of the region has an arid climate.
3. The region experiences seasonal monsoons.
4. The region has many broad, fertile plains.
2. The early civilizations of the Nile River Valley and Mesopotamia were
similar because they were
1. industrialized societies.
3. dependent on fertile land.
4. dependent on each other for trade.
3. In the Middle East in ancient times, the development of farming brought
1. the establishment of permanent settlements.
2. a return to a nomadic life-style.
3. the rise of hunting as an important occupation.
4. increased dependence on exporting oil.
4. The river valleys of the Tigris-Euphrates and the Nile were centers of
civilization because they
1. had rich deposits of iron ore and coal.
2. were isolated from other cultural influences.
3. were easy to defend from invasion.
4. provided a means of transportation and irrigation.
5. The city of Jerusalem is important because it.
1. serves as the financial center of the Middle East.
2. Is a major port for Israel.
3. has religious significance for Judaism, Christianity, and Islam.
4. has become the center of industrial development for Palestine.