1 The term “subsistence farmers” refers to people who grow
(1) enough food to feed an entire village
(2) food to sell in village markets
(3) just enough food to meet the needs of the immediate family
(4) a single cash crop
2 Which statement is a description of a market economy?
(1) Government planning agencies make some economic decisions and
businesses make others.
(2) Individual decision making and supply and demand greatly influence
basic economic decisions.
(3) The national government controls all resources, labor supply, and means
(4) Customs, religions, and traditions determine most economic decisions.
3 The Neolithic Revolution was characterized by the
(1) change from nomadic herding to settled farming
(2) growth of iron tool-making technology
(3) migration of early peoples to the Americas
(4) decline of large empires
4 In which region did China’s earliest civilizations develop?
(1) Gobi Desert
(3) Yellow River Valley
(2) Himalaya Mountains (4) Tibetan
5 The phrase “from southern Spain, across northern Africa, occupying the
peninsula to Southeast Asia” once described the extent of the
(1) Aztec Empire (3) Gupta Empire
(2) Pax Romana (4)