16 One function of the placenta in a human is to
(1) surround the embryo and protect it from shock
(2) allow for mixing of maternal blood with fetal
(3) act as the heart of the fetus, pumping blood until the fetus is born
(4) permit passage of nutrients and oxygen from the mother
to the fetus
17 Some body structures of a human male are represented in the
An obstruction in the structures labeled X would directly
interfere with the
(1) transfer of sperm to a female
(2) production of sperm
(3) production of urine
(4) transfer of urine to the external environment
18 The diagram below represents a beaker containing a solution
various molecules involved in digestion.
Which structures represent products of digestion?
(1) A and D (3) B and E
(2) B and C (4) D and E
Base your answer to question 19 on the chart below and on your
knowledge of biology.
19 According to most scientists, which sequence best
order of biological evolution on Earth?
(1) A → B
C (3) B
(2) B →
A (4) C
20 The diagram below represents what can happen when homeostasis
in an organism is threatened.
Which statement provides a possible explanation for these events?
(1) Antibiotics break down harmful substances by the
process of digestion.
(2) Some specialized cells mark and other cells engulf
microbes during immune reactions.
(3) Embryonic development of essential organs occurs
(4) Cloning removes abnormal cells produced during differentiation.
‹‹ Previous Page Next Page