11 If mitotic cell division is the only way a particular
species of single-celled
organism can reproduce, it is most likely that
(1) mutations can not occur in this species
(2) the rate of evolution in this species is slower than in one
(3) the number of organisms of this species in an area will remain constant
(4) this species belongs to the animal kingdom
12 In order for new species to develop, there must be a change
(1) temperature of the environment
(2) migration patterns within a population
(3) genetic makeup of a population
(4) rate of succession in the environment
13 Which statement is not part of the concept of natural
(1) Individuals that possess the most favorable variations
have the best chance of reproducing.
(2) Variation occurs among individuals in a population.
(3) More individuals are produced than will survive.
(4) Genes of an individual adapt to a changing environment.
14 The diagram below shows the evolution of some different
Which statement about the species is correct?
(1) Species A, B, C, and D came from different ancestors.
(2) Species C evolved from species B.
(3) Species A, B, and C can interbreed successfully.
(4) Species A became extinct.
15 In sexually reproducing species, the number of chromosomes
each body cell remains the same from one generation to the next
as a direct result of
(1) meiosis and fertilization
(2) mitosis and mutation
(3) differentiation and aging
(4) homeostasis and dynamic equilibrium
‹‹ Previous Page Next