PART A -
Answer all 35 questions in this part. (30)
Directions (1-30): For each statement or question, write on the separate
answer sheet the number of the word or expression that, of those given,
best completes the statement or answers the question.
Cloning an individual usually produces organisms that
(1) contain dangerous mutations
(2) contain identical genes
(3) are identical in appearance and behavior
(4) produce enzymes different from the parent
2 Which statement best describes the term theory as used in
(1) A theory is never revised as new scientific evidence is
(2) A theory is an assumption made by scientists and implies a
lack of certainty.
(3) A theory refers to a scientific explanation that is strongly
a variety of experimental data.
(4) A theory is a hypothesis that has been supported by one experiment
performed by two or more scientists.
3 Which two systems are most directly involved in
needed for the synthesis of fats in human cells?
(1) digestive and circulatory
(2) excretory and digestive
(3) immune and muscular
(4) reproductive and circulatory
4 Which statements best describe the relationship between the terms
genes, and nuclei?
(1) Chromosomes are found on genes. Genes are found in
(2) Chromosomes are found in nuclei. Nuclei are found in genes.
(3) Genes are found on chromosomes. Chromosomes are
found in nuclei.
(4) Genes are found in nuclei. Nuclei are found in chromosomes.
5 Organisms from a particular ecosystem are shown below.
Which statement concerning an organism in this ecosystem is
(1) Organism 2 is heterotrophic.
(2) Organism 3 helps recycle materials.
(3) Organism 4 obtains all of its nutrients from an abiotic source.
(4) Organism 5 must obtain its energy from organism 1.