The instructions for the traits of an organism are coded in the
(1) glucose units in carbohydrate molecules
(2) bases in DNA in the nucleus
(3) fat molecules in the cell membrane
(4) energy-rich bonds in starch molecules
12 Which statement is true regarding an alteration or change
(1) It is always known as a mutation.
(2) It is always advantageous to an individual.
(3) It is always passed on to offspring.
(4) It is always detected by the process of chromatography.
13 In heterotrophs, energy for the life processes comes from
energy stored in the bonds of
(1) water molecules
(2) oxygen molecules
(3) organic compounds
(4) inorganic compounds
14 The diagram below represents the
chemical pathway of a process in a
human liver cell.
A particular liver cell is unable to make substance C. One
for the inability of this cell to make substance C is that
(1) excess energy for step 2 prevented the conversion of
B to substance C
(2) an excess of enzyme X was present, resulting in a decrease in the
production of substance B
(3) nuclear DNA was altered resulting in the cell being unable to make
(4) a mutation occurred causing a change in the ability of the cell to
use substance C
15 The diagram below shows a process
that can occur during meiosis.
The most likely result of this process is
(1) a new combination of inheritable traits that can appear in the
(2) an inability to pass either of these chromosomes on to offspring
(3) a loss of genetic information that will produce a genetic disorder
in the offspring
(4) an increase in the chromosome number of the organism in which
this process occurs