| PART A
Answer all 35 questions in this part. (35)
Directions (1-35): For each statement or question, write on the separate
number of the word or expression that, of those given,
the statement or
answers the question.
1 A student observes that an
organism is green. A valid conclusion that can
be drawn from this observation is that
(1) the organism must be a plant
(2) the organism cannot be single celled
(3) the organism must be an animal
(4) not enough information is given to determine
whether the organism is
a plant or an animal
2 Why do scientists consider any hypothesis valuable?
(1) A hypothesis requires no further investigation.
(2) A hypothesis may lead to further investigation even if it is
disproved by the experiment.
(3) A hypothesis requires no further investigation if it is proved by the
(4) A hypothesis can be used to explain a conclusion even if it is
by the experiment.
3 Which letter indicates a cell structure that directly
controls the movement
of molecules into and out of the cell?
(1) A (3) C
(2) B (4) D
4 A great deal of information can now be obtained about the
health of people by examining the genetic makeup of their cells. There
are concerns that this information could be used to deny an individual
health insurance or employment. These concerns best illustrate that
(1) scientific explanations depend upon evidence collected
a single source
(2) scientific inquiry involves the collection of information from a
number of sources
(3) acquiring too much knowledge in human genetics will discourage
research in that area
(4) while science provides knowledge, values are essential to making
ethical decisions using this knowledge