12 A small amount of DNA was taken from a fossil of a mammoth found
frozen in glacial
ice. Genetic technology can be used to produce a large
quantity of identical DNA from this
mammoth’s DNA. In this technology,
the original DNA sample is used to
(1) stimulate differentiation in other mammoth cells
(2) provide fragments to replace certain human body chemicals
(3) act as a template for repeated replication
(4) trigger mitosis to obtain new base sequences
13 Many diabetics are now using insulin that was made by certain bacteria.
The ability of these bacteria to produce insulin was most likely the result of
(1) deleting many DNA segments from bacterial DNA
(2) genetic mapping of bacterial DNA to activate the gene for insulin
(3) inserting a portion of human DNA into the ring-shaped DNA of bacteria
(4) using radiation to trigger mutations
14 Which situation would most directly affect future generations naturally
produced by a maple tree?
(1) Ultraviolet radiation changes the DNA sequence within some leaves
of the tree.
(2) Ultraviolet radiation changes the DNA sequence within the gametes
flowers of the tree.
(3) An increase in temperature reduces the number of cell divisions in
(4) Rapidly growing cells just under the bark are exposed to radiation,
in genetic material.
15 Which statement is best supported by fossil records?
(1) Many organisms that lived in the past are now extinct.
(2) Species occupying the same habitat have identical
(3) The struggle for existence between organisms results in
changes in populations.
(4) Structures such as leg bones and wing bones can originate
from the same type of tissue found in embryos.
16 The first life-forms to appear on Earth were most likely
(1) complex single-celled organisms
(2) complex multicellular organisms
(3) simple single-celled organisms
(4) simple multicellular organisms
17 One explanation for the variety of organisms present on Earth today is
that over time
(1) new species have adapted to fill available niches in the environment
(2) evolution has caused the appearance of organisms that are similar to
(3) each niche has changed to support a certain variety of organism
(4) the environment has remained unchanged, causing rapid evolution
18 Within which structure in the human body does specialization of parts
of the developing baby take place?
(1) ovary (3) testis
( 2 ) u t e r u s (4) pancreas