| PART A
Answer all 35 questions in this part. (35)
Directions (1-35): For each statement or question, write on the separate
number of the word or expression that, of those given,
the statement or
answers the question.
1 The analysis of data gathered
during a particular experiment is necessary
in order to
(1) formulate a hypothesis for that experiment
(2) develop a research plan for that experiment
(3) design a control for that experiment
(4) draw a valid conclusion for that experiment
2 A student could best demonstrate knowledge of how energy
throughout an ecosystem by
(1) drawing a food web using specific organisms living in a
(2) conducting an experiment that demonstrates the process of
(3) labeling a diagram that illustrates ecological succession
(4) making a chart to show the role of bacteria in the environment
3 In most habitats, the removal of predators will have the
impact on a population of
(2) decomposers (4) microbes
4 Hormones and secretions of the nervous system are chemical
(1) store genetic information
(2) carry out the circulation of materials
(3) extract energy from nutrients
(4) coordinate system interactions
5 Which statement concerning simple sugars and amino acids is
(1) They are both wastes resulting from protein synthesis.
(2) They are both building blocks of starch.
(3) They are both needed for the synthesis of larger molecules.
(4) They are both stored as fat molecules in the liver