11 The rise of the West African kingdoms of Ghana, Mali, and
Songhai can be
(1) their emphasis on nationalism
(2) the spread of Christianity
(3) the rise of European imperialism
(4) their locations near the trans-Sahara trade routes
12 Mansa Musa commissioned great mosques to be
built in Timbuktu, Maliís capital, and in
other Mali cities. Under Musaís patronage, Muslim scholarship
flourished, and Timbuktu began
its tenure as an important center of learning. This public display
of wealth and power enhanced
Maliís reputation and prestige throughout the world.
Which phrase best describes Mali under the rule of Mansa Musa?
(1) a golden age
(2) a poverty-stricken era
(3) a decade of colonial unrest
(4) a period of political chaos
13 ē Sale of indulgences authorized
by Pope Leo X to raise money to build
St. Peterís Basilica in Rome (1515)
ē Ninety-five Theses posted (1517)
ē Hearing held at Worms, Germany (1521)
These events are most closely associated with
(1) Charles V and absolutism
(2) Martin Luther and the Protestant Reformation
(3) John Locke and the Enlightenment
(4) Karl Marx and scientific socialism
14 Inca terrace farming and Aztec
floating gardens are examples of
(1) the ability of civilizations to
adapt to their regionís physical geography
(2) slash-and-burn farming techniques
(3) Mesoamerican art forms symbolizing the importance of
(4) colonial economic policies that harmed Latin American
15 Which statement best illustrates
the concept of European mercantilism during
the Age of Exploration?
(1) England encouraged free trade
among its colonies.
(2) Spain reduced exports to its South American colonies.
(3) Portugal sought trade benefits from its colonial possessions.
(4) France refused to give financial support to weak national
<< Previous Page