| PART A
Directions (l-35): For each statement or question, write on the separate answer
sheet the number of the word or expression that, of those given, best completes the
statement or answers the question. Some questions may require the use of the Earth
Science Reference Tables.
1 Summer days in New York State are likely to be hotter than winter days
because in summer
(1) Earth is closer to the Sun
(2) the number of sunspots increases
(3) Earth’s northern axis is tilted toward the Sun
(4) the Sun gives off more energy
2 Which planet takes more time to complete one rotation on its axis than to
complete one revolution around the Sun?
(1) Mercury (3) Mars
(2) Venus (4) Jupiter
3 Which observation provides the best evidence that Earth rotates?
(1) The position of the planets among the stars changes during the year.
(2) The location of the constellations in relationship to Polaris changes from
month to month.
(3) The length of the shadow cast by a flagpole at noontime changes
from season to season.
(4) The direction of swing of a freely swinging pendulum changes during
4 Which mineral is white or colorless, has a hardness of 2.5, and splits with
(1) calcite (3) pyrite
(2) halite (4) mica
5 Which radioactive isotope is most useful for determining the age of
bones found in late Pleistocene sediments?
(1) uranium-238 (3) potassium-40
(2) carbon-14 (4)